Shared by Cindy May and Seggy Hannington
Most of you reading this will remember Seggy quite well. He is now leading New Dawn Africa Foundation. You can read his most recent update below. As the Thieles are traveling in May, they will be able to transport any used cell phones/laptops that you may want to donate.
Also, an updated registry list is provided below. Thank you all for your generosity! The luggage preparation is making great progress.
Dear Friends and Family,
I hope this email finds you filled with joy and peace. New Dawn Africa Foundation is a Ugandan not-for-profit organization that was founded to improve the nutrition of children living with HIV/AIDS among other things.
Funding has been our biggest challenge though we are not hanging up our gloves, we are doing whatever we can to succeed in giving a new life to these children because they deserve it. Unfortunately we can not achieve that alone thus contacting you with a simple idea.
We are collecting used but still working laptops and cell phones (Blackberry’s, I-Phones, Nokias,etc anything with a sim-card), as these items can be worth as much as $500 in Uganda. That amount of money can put a poor young Ugandan through a year of school that she or he otherwise would not have been able to afford.
Money raised from these phones and laptops will also go:
1.Buy nutritious food packages for the kids we work with
2.Pay hospital bills for their treatment
3.Buy scholastic materials for our kids
4.Purchase materials for our tailoring center
5.Help in the formation of our AIDS helpline being set up
6.Pay our utility bills
Our goal is to become COMPLETELY SUSTAINABLE and we are working on this.
It’s rare that such a small gesture can make such a large impact – please consider spreading the word to your friends/family/church/schools/Facebook, etc. The impact of these donations will create a ripple effect that will truly change lives in the communities we are work in for years to come.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to give back to those less fortunate.
You can find us on facebook or www.newdawanafrica.org
Team Lead /Founder
New Dawn Africa Foundation
“He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and He will reward him for what he has done.” Proverbs 19:17
Updated Registry List
Experito and Justine:
1. Peanut butter- Skippy or Jif (6 large Costco size= 18 pounds) Donated 4/19!
2. Scented lotions or crèmes for Justine donated 4/20!
3. Carissa is their 1yr old daughter–any gift for a baby girl. Donated!
4. Black and /or brown men’s dockers (khakis) waist 30 inches, outseam is 39.5 inches Donated 4/20!
5. Electric guitar (if possible)—church requested donated 4/25!
6. 250 bottles of B-1– an annual supply for Experito and Justine and the 60 children who attend the school. B-1 prevents malaria! $14 will protect 1 children from malaria for an entire year. The best source is here: http://www.vitacost.com/natures-way-vitamin-b-1 25 bottles donated on 4/21!
8 Crewneck undershirts– donated on 4/4 and 4/21
8 Boxer-briefs- donated on 4/4 and 4/21!
9. 8 pair of Women’s underwear (if questions, please email me) Donated 4/2!
Seggy, Mark, Ivan & Fred
32 Hanes T-shirts (crewneck with sleeves – 16 small, 16 medium) donated on 4/4 and 4/21!
32 boxer-briefs (24-size 30/32 waist; 8- size 34 waist)– donated!
Peanut Butter- Skippy or Jif (8 large Costco size = 24 pounds) donated on 4/2 and 4/19!
4. 2 Cetaphil lotion (for Seggy’s Eczema). Donated 4/4!
5. Beef Jerky Donated 4/2!
6. Merona (Target brand) or any brand wallet- brown leather Donated 4/2!
B-1 (4 bottles)—see above for source Donated!
Cyrus and Eucabeth
1. 31 bottles of B-1 annual supply for 50 people to prevent malaria. Donated 4/1!
Digital camera (basic point and shoot is fine) Donated 4/25!
3. Underwear- children’s and adult–40 children live with Cyrus and Eucabeth. (14 pairs + 3 packages boy, 3 packages girls provided so far – 4/2!)
4. 50 bars of soap Donated 4/2!
Peanut butter for children Donated 4/19!
6. Shoes for both children and adults (gently used is fine–black dress shoes preferred for children)
8. Large bags of snack-size non-melting candy for the children. Donated 4/2!